Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Tips on Sending Holiday Cards to Clients

By: Andrea Schuch
This is a time of year where it's actually exciting to go out to the mailbox and see how your friends and family are doing. Maybe you'll get some photos from friends that you haven't seen in a while or letters from relatives. Either way, it's great to catch up. The winter holidays are also a great time for marketing. Sending a card wishing your clients well and promoting yourself can be tricky though! If you have thoughts - weigh in! Here are some tips from industry experts.

Deborah Flate of Dialogue Consulting says: I actually send New Years cards as they don’t get “lost” in the crowd…but holiday cards should avoid having any religious undertone. That could be offensive to some. It also needs to be really “cool” to get above the noise. I think company logos and colors should go on everything! It can be subtle but it’s all about that getting in front of potential clients with that “stick” factor in mind! You should basically have a message to enjoy the holidays. I am a hippy..so I always wish a happy, peaceful holiday season. I think people generally like photos of the staff again without religious overtones. That’s not to say something cute like Santa hats or reindeer antlers..those are more holiday than religious. Those can always be "photoshopped" in. I also think (and I do this every year) donate to a charity in lieu of gifts to my clients. We all get just enough popcorn and candy to last a lifetime (and a year’s sign up for Jenny Craig!!) I think it’s a nice touch and I think people take notice (I know my friends and clients do). I believe the more unusual the card, the better (for branding purposes!!). Although this year because I just don’t have the time, I am doing a 4 x 9 note card format.  Personally, I do not like the ones you order from the places that offer “holiday” cards.  I think if you take time to do a more unusual card, people take notice.  People would always comment on my cards (but as I said in years past, I made them myself and they were very labor intensive, but very special!).  I have actually done custom cards for interior designers who have seen mine. I think of holiday cards as another marketing piece. Just a way to “get in front of your potential client”. And, if done correctly. Getting above the noise and thoughtfully…it WILL get you business eventually. But that’s why you want to always put your website. My website is designed into part of my logo.

Jennifer Jeffs of Caminitti and Associates says: You want something eye catching and personalized to your company. Something they would want to keep and hang with the rest of their cards.  Companies should always put their logo on their holiday cards, it’s always good to remind your client who sent the card with their Holiday wishes! I recommend putting a nice message on the cards, maybe a message that includes upcoming business such as “Happy Holidays…look forward to seeing you in the New Year”. Also, a website with the logo should be there so clients can easily look you up while you are on their minds. Depending on how big the firm is and how much the associates deal with your clients you may want to include a staff photo. If  your staff talks to clients a lot via phone, then it is a nice idea to send a photo so that the client can out a name with a face. The graphics you use should coincide with your business. For a designer, for example, maybe a  tree with furnishings as the ornaments, or  a wreath made of red, green, purple and gold fabrics…. Postcards are generally less expensive and easier format to hang and read. However, I recommend using envelopes rather than putting a label on it, as the traditional postcard does. As for marketing during the holiday season, word of mouth is great, give referral cards to each client. If you have client emails, maybe send a holiday card in an eblast just to say have a great holiday season.

Check out Deborah Flate on Facebook, her blog, or her website for more information.

No comments: