Friday, April 29, 2011

Outdoor Living with Bonnie Kovacik of BK Designs

By: Andrea Schuch
I had the opportunity to sit down with Bonnie of BK Designs and talk about the outdoors. We, as designers, often concentrate so much on the interior that we forget that the exterior of a home is just as important and an equal opportunity for a sale. The elements are the same: color, furniture, accessories - but the outcome is very different. A lush garden can completely transform the curb appeal of a home and many people love outdoor living in the warmer months, whether it's dinner on the patio or sharing stories with friends around a fire. Bonnie, who is an excellent gardener herself, shares her success stories about getting clients that had admired her own gardens and what she feels the trends are in home exteriors.


Bonnie Kovacik of BK Designs
Photo courtesy of Jen Jeffs
 AS: There was a time, not too many years ago when houses seemed to be growing and yards shrinking, I feel like they may be staying the same size now but the yards gardens seem to be growing and making houses look so beautiful lately. Do you see this trend and what do you attribute it to?
BK: In a fast paced world, we are all looking for places to find peace and quiet. This has been the trend in home decorating and is now beginning to move to our outside spaces. The garden has become the go-to place for entertaining family and friends. The shift is towards casual gatherings, from barbecuing on the grill, garden parties, bocce ball, drinks on the patio or just sitting around the fire pit gazing at the stars, enjoying good conversations. The creation of an outdoor sanctuary brings peaceful respite for the family as well as a wonderful space to share with friends.

AS: What is the easiest "curb appeal" fix to help a home that you have used?
BK: I could write a book on curb appeal. I have been known to knock on a stranger’s door to ask "what is the name of that fabulous color on your door?" In effort to be concise I will say that whether your budget is $100.00 or thousands, there are always things that can be done to spruce up the exterior of your home. Think about adding a fresh coat of paint, or a simple fix of updated door hardware and house numbers, new cushions on your outdoor furnishings, or fragrant plantings around the front door. Outdoor lighting is another great way to add instant charm, just be sure not to line up the lights along your driveway, it may be mistaken for a 747 runway at O'Hare. The benefits of hardscape cannot be overlooked. When you are looking to bring in texture and interest, it could be as simple as a few well-placed stepping stones with a bit of creeping thyme growing between them to complete the makeover of the existing area. Whether you live in an arts & craft, cottage or a mid-century split level, it’s always exciting finding that inspiration that creates curb appeal that brings pride to the home owner.

AS: I have heard you have held several garden parties in your garden, how do you translate yourinterior design to the exterior for temporary party use?
BK: For me having a garden party just means that instead of eating in the dining room, we are dining on the patio or under a beautiful canopy in the yard if the group is very large. I am an avid collector of beautiful vintage tableware and I love to share these with my guests. For me the elegance of a striking tablescape dressed with lovely linens, china and crystal, adds an element of enchantment in an era of paper and plastic. What guest wouldn't be enthralled to be called to dine in the double splendor of a garden in its peak of perfection in summer at a table dressed up in its finest?


AS: What kinds of furniture and accessories do you utilize most outside?
BK: I love attractive tableware and I love quality vintage pieces for their detail and beauty as well as the value they offer when compared to modern ware. If you can be patient, the local flea markets, antique stores and thrift stores are a trove of often reasonably priced one-of-a-kind accent pieces, and vintage patio furniture. (One year I was at the Sandwich IL flea market and found a beautiful 1940s Woodward patio table and chairs that actually came from New Orleans. The name was forged on the bottom of the chairs). I love using these pieces in unexpected places to bring surprise and interest to visitors, whether it be an interesting willow chair set in a flower bed to be taken over by an exuberant vine or a wonderful antique wrought iron gate that inspires the entrance to a beautiful garden area.

AS: What do you enjoy most about outdoor living?
BK: I enjoy everything about outdoor living, from working in the garden and talking to strangers who pass by and stop for a chat, to sitting quietly on my patio or porch with a cup of coffee and a good book. Mostly I enjoy sharing the fruits of my labors with my family and friends. We enjoy eating wonderful meals on our patio and taking in the essence of a warm summer evening.

AS: Do you get a lot of leads for design jobs based off the exterior of your home?
BK:Yes, we live on a corner lot and my garden is surrounded by a beautiful white picket fence. Our neighborhood has sidewalks so we have a lot of foot traffic. One day I arrived home to find two women on my front porch. They had many questions about my decor and many compliments. I get jobs from people who live around my neighborhood and through them, referrals to others.

AS: Do you help others with their exteriors and how do you stress how important the exterior is?
BK: I often help my clients with their exteriors. I find my extensive experience as a gardener myself is a very valuable asset in offering advice on improving my clients’ exteriors. I have first hand knowledge in choosing plants and dealing with nurseries for hardscapes and softscapes. I find that once my clients and I have dealt with their interior design, their focus often turns to the exterior where my love of gardening and decorator’s eye are a natural fit in reflecting the importance of exterior design elements and the overall inspiration of the home.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a wonderful interview. I'm one of Bonnie's neighbors who has admired her magical landscape skills for years. I've also been to her garden parties which is the best invitation in town. Bonnie has been an inspiration to our neighborhood and we are so lucky to have a gifted designer in our midst.

MaryKay Romanchuk said...

Nice article Andrea and Bonnie. With spring taking so long to arrive it gives us hope that it is just right around the "corner".

MaryKay Romanchuk