Sunday, May 15, 2011

Interior Design & A Great Non-Profit - A Must See

By: Andrea Schuch
Something I don't often do on this blog is promote other companies or events in the area. I try to save my "promoting" for special things or things that I really care about. I think this is one of those special times... Every year, the Infant Welfare Society of Chicago has it's designer Showhouse and Gardens in Lake Forest, IL. This year, they took over the Thorndale Manor and Coach House. This house was commissioned in 1916 by a railroad tycoon with 25 rooms including six bedrooms 19 acres of land. The 5,500 coach house, also included in the tour has five bedrooms and a courtyard overlooking gardens. This three week event (April 30 - May 22) is the largest fundraiser for the chapter and attracts roughly 10,000 visitors yearly.
The thing about this showhouse is that it bridges two areas of work: interior design (and landscape design) and charitable causes. I am a big fan of participating in local non-profits which why I suppose I am the outreach coordinator at CDT. I think this is just the perfect match for us and even just visiting the showhouse will support this great cause. The IWS provides health care to the uninsured and under insured women and children who would otherwise lack access to basic medical care.
Tickets are $35 at the door or you can purchase them online at a slight discount. Make sure you get it in your schedule soon because it is only open for one more week!

No comments: