Friday, January 14, 2011

Add Some Glass

By: Andrea Schuch

I started collecting wine glasses from all the exciting places I have visited several years back on my trip to Europe. Since then, wine glasses have been my version of the states magnets or t-shirts that often come home as souvenirs. It all started in Greece but by the end of my trip there were several very breakable packages that surprisingly made it back and have survived two moves since. I have them on display in my kitchen and bring most of them down when company arrives. It’s always a talking point because we only have two of each glass and they are all unique – some colorful, some from local artisans, some from famous outfits. They also look great mismatched on a table filled with wonderful accessories or meandering around the house. The piece de rĂ©sistance is a pair of glasses with golden rims from Moser – the crystal sister company of famous porcelain producer Herend in Hungary. I purchased them pre-wedding and had thought that I would use them as our wedding goblets but in the end, I was too afraid they would get broken and to this day have never been used. I am still thinking that I’ll bring them down some day, maybe… None the less, glassware adds a definite touch to any dining area – as an accessory or to be used by your guests. Some of the most beautiful candle holders are cut glass as well as some great platters.
There are great glass pieces to add such as Uttermost (12773 Aria Mirror) – still a hot shape of the starburst but in glass pieces of calming colors - blue, green and white.


Or this very detailed glass mirrored floor screen from LaBarge (LS0062). (This, by the way, would look great with my gold wine glasses.)

Or this candle holder from Elizabeth Marshall (in my favorite color of green, of course) will produce a beautiful light in any room (31-50-11843). We have these in the showroom in a golden color that look great!

I think glass adds such a great element to a room. Not only can it be beautiful but because it can change the light in the room - you can change the whole appearance of all the accessories too!



What is your favorite glass piece?

1 comment:

Julie said...

My favorite glass would have to be Mercury glass!!!