Thursday, September 29, 2011

Business Ethics with Carol Most of Holden-Most Interiors, Ltd.

By: Andrea Schuch
As you may have realized, whenever there is an extra Friday to the month, I ask a designer to share with us something that we feel is a great part of who they are. It could be something that they specialize in, a hobby that has helped their business grow or in this case a way they do business that works well for both their clients and the vendors they do purchase from. When picking designers, I usually look at designers that have been in our Top Ten and think about about what makes them "them." In this case, I really wanted to focus on Carol Most of Holden-Most Interiors but had no ideas for topics to talk with her about. In talking with Camille, we came up with this topic because she often has a fair approach to how to deal with issues that arise with both her clients and vendors. So enjoy Carol's insights into business practices and maybe you will see that a few might work for you too!

AS: How would you handle a conflict between your client’s best interest and your own best interest?
CM: My goal is to win the war, not the battle.  I guess a less combative way of saying that is to focus on the big picture.  In the vast majority of cases (there have been few conflicts over the years) I simply acknowledge the issue, make sure I am clear on what will correct the situation, and then I make it happen, at my expense, if necessary.   My client’s best interest IS my best interest.  I never want a client to feel that they have settled, for example to live with less than perfect workmanship, etc.  It’s my job to paint a clear picture of the master plan before the onset of any project.  If that is done properly, conflicts are less likely to happen. 
AS: Is the client always right?
CM: No.  When conflicts arise, a meaningful discussion is in order, making my professional view of the situation clear.   However, once said, my approach is still the same…take care of it! 
AS: Can you explain how communication affects the relationship you have with your client?
CM: Communication is everything.
 Twofold : First, I let my client’s know just what “owning “their project means.  I want nothing less than perfect.  That translates into untold hours and an occasional sleepless night!  My clients have no doubt how hard I work for them. Second, clearly communicating scheduling, order lead times, and status is a must.  For some clients this will need to be in writing. Staying on top of this means expectations are in check.
AS: How important is it to set expectations for your client?
CM: At the onset of a project I lay out a master plan.  Because a vast majority of my work begins with a major remodeling, I meet with contractors and create the schedule on calendar pages that are copied for all parties involved.  Most people are comfortable with a block calendar as it’s very visual.  You can see the spread of time.  The schedule shows all phases of the project including time allowed  for design formulation and selections, material order placement deadlines and deliveries as well as dates for all trades involved.  From day one everyone knows how and when they fit into the puzzle, often months in advance.  The schedule is constantly revised as the project moves forward, new copies go out to all, and this repeats itself throughout the course of the project.  It has made a huge difference keeping the project duration in check and gives my clients a visual from day one of a reasonable date they will be done.
AS: What has been the most valuable tool you have learned in your many years of being a business owner?
CM: Without a doubt… listen to your gut!  For me, it is a true barometer, not only of right and wrong, but whether a potential client is better to pass on than take a chance.
AS: Where did you learn to have such great integrity while running your own business?
CM: As a one person corporation, it is impossible to separate my business integrity from my personal integrity.  In all places of my life I try consciously to be a person of character.  That stems from my upbringing in a solid family and my Christian faith.  It’s an ongoing process but staying conscious is the key!
Also, while you did not ask, it goes without saying that business integrity must be reflected in the way we as designers handle our professional relationships as well.  For example, I may be asked to take a look at something…let’s say it’s a piece of furniture…at a local store.  And let’s say that it is a piece that I have selected for them, however , my client has no intention of purchasing that piece of furniture through that source.  I simply will not do this.  I cannot make use of a vendor’s showroom, samples, etc.  unless that vendor  will be getting the orders.  No question of right vs. wrong here!  From the way we talk, to the loyalty that keeps our suppliers in business, we as designers, need to be very conscious to do unto others as we would have them do unto us.



No comments: